Scope of Practice for Licensed Dietitians/Nutritionists
The scope of practice for licensed dietitians/nutritionists in North Carolina is defined in the law as nutrition care services. Nutrition care services means any, part or all of the following:
- Assessing the nutritional needs of individuals and groups, and determining resources and constraints in the practice setting;
- Establishing priorities, goals, and objectives that meet nutritional needs and are consistent with available resources and constraints;
- Providing nutrition counseling in health and disease;
- Developing, implementing, and managing nutrition care systems; and
- Evaluating, making changes in, and maintaining appropriate standards of quality in food and nutrition services.
Nutrition care services do not include the retail sale of food products or vitamins.