Provisional License Application

What is a PLDN or PLN?

A PLDN is a Provisionally Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist in North Carolina. A PLN is a Provisionally Licensed Nutritionist in North Carolina.  A “Category B” provisional license is the license you are eligible for if you have completed both a regionally accredited academic program, as well as a board approved internship but have not yet taken or passed the Commission on Dietetic Registration examination for RDNs.  A “Category G” provisional license is the license you are eligible for if you have completed both a regionally accredited master’s or doctoral level academic program, as well as a board approved internship, but have not yet taken or passed the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists examination or the American Clinical Board of Nutrition examination.

A provisional license is valid for one year from the date of issue and costs $85.00. The provisional licensee then has 12 months to pass the appropriate approved examination and “upgrade” to either a “Category A” license or a “Category F” license for the balance of the issuance fee, which is $90.00. All new applicants are also subject to the $38 criminal background fee.

A provisionally licensed dietitian/nutritionist must work under the supervision of an LDN or LN, and acquire a signed statement of this as part of the application process. The supervisor must be willing to take responsibility for the actions of the PLDN or PLN until the PLDN or PLN obtains his/her “Category A” or “LDN” license or “Category F” or “LN” license. The degree of supervision that is necessary is determined by the supervising LDN or LN and the facility’s policies/protocols. In determining how much supervision is necessary, the LDN or LN should consider the knowledge and skill of the PLDN or PLN and his/her level of competence. It is the responsibility of both the PLDN/PLN and supervising LDN/LN to advise the Board if the supervisory relationship terminates or changes.

Some positions do not require licensure under the Dietetics/Nutrition Practice Act. These positions include those working for the local, state, or federal government, WIC positions, and military positions. Practitioners licensed under Chapter 90 of the North Carolina General Statutes who are practicing within the scope of their license are also exempt from the requirements of the Dietetics/Nutrition Practice Act.

What can I do as a provisional licensee?

• Provide medical nutrition therapy, under the supervision of a Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist or Licensed Nutritionist;
• Utilize the titles of “dietitian,” “nutritionist,” or “dietitian/nutritionist”; and 
• Use the credentials “PLDN” or “PLN.”

For those who have completed an ACEND-accredited academic program and an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program, to become provisionally licensed under Category B please have the following materials scanned and prepared to upload with your online application:

• Unofficial academic transcripts;
• ACEND academic verification statement;
• ACEND supervised practice verification statement;
• ACEND coordinated program verification statement (only if applicable, and replaces the above two mentioned statements);
• Completed and Signed Form B2 Supervisor Verification Statement (form is available on our website under “Forms and Resources”);
• “Eligibility to Test Email” from the CDR; 
• Copy of your Photo ID;
• Completion of the criminal background check (CBC) process, posted on our website under "Licensees & Applicants"; and
• Method of payment for the $85.00 fee and $38.00 criminal background check fee
(Acceptable file formats: GIF, BMP, TIF, JPG, PDF)

Processing Time: Please plan on results of the CBC taking approximately 10-12 business days from the time fingerprints are taken (in-state process) or mailed to SBI by our office if using ink card method (out-of-state). The NCBDN office will NOT have any update on your application during this time as the process is in the hands of the SBI. Once results are received by our office, we will process them as expeditiously as possible, and if all other required documentation is complete, you will receive an email from the system when your application has been approved. Click here to register and complete the online Category B (Provisional) application

For those who have completed a master’s or doctoral degree in nutrition or a master’s or doctoral degree in a field of clinical health care, and 1000 hours of supervised experience in nutrition, to become provisionally licensed under Category G, please request more information via email to: